Search This Blog

Sunday, May 13, 2018

Dressing up an old light fixture x2

 Old-world map antique light fixture: 

My mom inherited an antique Hong Kong style lamp. 
The original lamp shade was falling apart (even from a lite touch) because it was very old.

 My mom (who doesn't like to throw anything out) thought it would be a nice mother-daughter project to re-upholster the shade. 
The shade frame came apart in four sections (2 long & 2 short)
We bought a yard of fabric for around $3 at Old Time pottery and had excess material left over when cutting out the size of each frame (after added half and inch of fabric to each side)
I used Aleene's No-Sew fabric glue and added a small line to each frame and folded the fabric in (sorry no pictures)
Image result for Aleene's No-Sew fabric glue

We let it dry 30 minutes and attached the four sides and Vwa-lah!





Old paper lantern re-make:
Looking at my old teenage colorful paper lanterns made me feel like I was back in high school.
I decided to spruce them up with gold acrylic paint and spraying the green light cord black.
Painting the lanterns with a brush was time consuming so I'll be trying gold spray paint for the second set but I am a little nervous about its flammability...
New vs. Old *unfortunately the color still shines throw when turned on (left strand) 

Used Antique Gold acrylic paint 


Black painted cord from the original green

Without the lights turned on

No comments:

Post a Comment

DIY Mary Sanderson Costume

DIY Mary Sanderson costume from the thrift store.                                     It's just a bunch of Hocus Pocus!  DIY video: Find...