Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 24, 2020

DIY Broomstick from the backyard



Very easy,

I mean SUPER easy, 

so easy that I created this within minutes

BUT it took much longer since I composed a video...

Anyways, go out and forage your backyard for:

Materials:

  • Long stick (about 44-46" long)
    • Mine was a little crooked but was the perfect height for me to hold it above my waist and the bottom would be touching the ground (this is best for a photoshoot!)
  • A bunch of smaller sticks for the brush (about 20-22" long)
    • Grab even the sticks with dried leaves, they easily come off or you can keep those leaves on
  • 1-2 thick or strong rubber bands 
  • Blade (knife) to smooth down notches
  • String/twine
  • Glue (craft glue, no-sew glue, hot glue, etc.)
  • Scissors

Accents:
  • Charms, I chose a pentagram
  • Dried flowers
  • Decorative ribbon
  • Feathers
  • Crystals 
  • Herbs
  • You know what you want to make it your own!
This DIY craft was basically free, I had all the supplies already but I would guesstimate it would cost someone about $2-3 for the glue and twine and then however much you would like to invest in your accents. 




The video is pretty self-explanatory but here's a run down:
  1. Safely shave off any imperfections or if the stick is too perfect shave off layers to give it a rugged look. I shaved off a couple of notches that would stick out by the handle.
  2. Double twist one rubber band around the stick end you want to use for the brush.
  3. Insert layers of sticks, a couple at a time. The rubber band will expand and tighten around the sticks, they really won't fall out (as I expected).
  4. Add another rubber band to ensure the first one won't snap, add more sticks for a fuller look.
  5. Tie twine or rope around the rubber band to hide it which also secures the sticks further. I wrapped the twine more than 20 times. 
  6. Glue to knot the twine/rope. I used no-sew glue and it's still holding up!
  7. Add you accents. For charms you can added this to the end of your twine before tying/glueing it down. Further, added accents to the shaft and handle of the broom. If I had more time I would have added so much more but I had a photoshoot the next day! 
  8. Optional: cut the ends of the brush if any sticks are too long, this helps with stability. 

Remember to appreciate and thank nature for the supplies they give us. 
All sticks were found on the ground, no cutting down trees! 
Plus we had Hurricane Zeta hit New Orleans earlier this month which brought down enough sticks. 

My PEOPLE: 
The photographer: @crescent_aperture & my boyfriend
The pretty blond: @craftsandcosplay & my best friend




@craftsandcosplay





thats my boyfriend, Josh, and that's me checking his photo : )
@crescent_aperture

No comments:

Post a Comment

DIY Mary Sanderson Costume

DIY Mary Sanderson costume from the thrift store.                                     It's just a bunch of Hocus Pocus!  DIY video: Find...