Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Beetlejuice Costume

 DIY Beetlejuice Costume 

Thrift store time!

I couldn't find a black and white striped jacket and buying it online was way too expensive for a costume I MIGHT wear twice.  So I looked and looked for just a white jacket which is somehow hard to find. I happened to try on other clothes  at Goodwill and in the dressing room the white jacket was waiting for me, score!
Supplies:
  • White Jacket 
  • Black electrical tape (2pk at Dollar Tree & I went through 3 rolls so buy 2 packs)
  • Scissors 
The jacket is a little large but when putting on the tape it makes it a tad but smaller and I ended up sewing the button to wear it tightened more. 
So looking at the jacket the arms are striped horizontal and the torso is vertical.
At first I striped a whole arm horizontal and then when I tried it on it scrunched up on my arm and also tightened too much. So its up to you if you want to make the original. I taped the other side of the jacket vertically and decided to go with that one. I already took the horizontal pictures so here they are. 
 Hold down the material so when laying down the tape it doesn't scrunch up. Start the tape on the inner seem on the jacket so it looks smooth. The electrical tape stuck well to the material and the lines looked seamless. 
I wanted a wider black line and made sure the white line was the same size. I laid two pieces of tape side by side to make the line thicker. I bought pants online and wanted to match the lines with them. I made the jacket before buying the pants but the picture looked similar. 
I ordered these pants through Amazon and the stripes look about 1-1 1/2 inch wide. $10 with Amazon prime and the reviews say they are not see-through (we'll see).
All the way up to the shoulder. 
Let the tape run over the shoulder seem, cut it later after making sure the vertical lines lay well. 
One side vertical and the other horizontal 
 So I started over on the horizontal arm and made it vertical.
Lay out the tape on the shoulder where some tape overlaps to the back of the shoulder. When working on the back attach the tape to the same overlapping tape to make the transition smooth from front to back.
Make sure to overlap the tap to the inside of the jacket at the bottom so it stays on. 
For the lapel I wanted to start with black so it popped more and it made the edges more pointy.
For the collar I used short pieces of tape and started inside the collar and overlapped on the backside, cutting away the excess later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

DIY Mary Sanderson Costume

DIY Mary Sanderson costume from the thrift store.                                     It's just a bunch of Hocus Pocus!  DIY video: Find...